Beth's empowering journey from the beginners course into classes
1. How long have you been practicing yoga for?
I came to Studio 70 as a complete beginner. I've been practicing since November last year, so around 9 months.
2. What keeps you coming back to your mat every week?
A desire to feel calmer, more mindful of my body and hopefully to be a wee bit more flexible down the line.
3. What aspects of your yoga practice are you focusing on at the moment?
I'm really trying to improve my breathing, transition between poses and balance. The latter is particularly challenging. Think I'm quite a 'wobbly' person haha!
4. What advice would you give to someone wishing to try yoga for the first time?
Give it a go! I signed up for two lots of six-week beginners courses and they provide a basic but solid foundation to move to the Flow Classes with. It might take a while to get to grips with proper breathing and flow smoothly between the poses, you might even topple over sporadically, but it's worth persevering with.
5. Why do you come to studio 70?
The studio is only around five minutes' walk from my flat, so it's very handy. A friend had attended Studio 70 previously and said she'd liked its vibe.
6. What's your favourite yoga pose?
Other than Downward Dog, I'd say a toss up between Bridge and Warrior 2. They're both empowering poses. I also love the grounded, secure feeling of Childs' Pose.
7. Tell us one fun fact about yourself
My day job is editing a wedding magazine.