We caught up with Anthony from Bellahouston Road Runners this week and here's what he had to say about yoga, running and injuries.
1. How long have you been practising yoga for?
Since April this year, total newbie still. Before that I had done a few yoga classes with my sister.
2. What keeps you coming back to your mat every week?
Injury prevention and recovering from races and training. As a club runner I realise I can't just run and expect to remain injury free.
3. What aspects of your yoga practice are you focusing on at the moment?
Breathing while holding poses and balance. Definitely areas I need to work on.
4. What advice would you give to someone who’s thinking about trying yoga for the first time?
Find a beginners class that moves at a nice, relaxed pace. Accept your limitations with poses early on.
5. Why do you come to Studio 70?
Relaxed, non threatening atmosphere and the teachers are excellent. I've been to classes where the pace is too fast & the care for the students non-existent. That's not the case at Studio 70. I've enjoyed every yoga class I've done and I'm convinced it's helped my running.
6. What’s your favourite yoga pose?
Pigeon pose by a mile. I have suffered knee and IT band injuries with my running and this is such a crucial pose for me. I have other favourites like Warrior 2. It's hard to chose!
7. Tell us one fun fact about yourself!
I style my yoga moves off Dhalsim of Street Fighter II fame 😁
If you're a runner and want to see the benefits of yoga for yourself, book a class with us.